METHUEN

Methuen memorial

 

The Arch between the Sanford Chapel and the Organ is thought to have been constructed in the late 1930's. The arch is of ham stone, very narrow and pointed. In the side of the arch is a rose marble insert that is a memorial to Lady Mary Ethel (Ettie) Methuen's two sisters. The translation of the inscription is ‘to dear sisters by a sister’. Lady Methuen died in 1941 and her sisters in 1935 and 1936. Lady Methuen was the second daughter of W.A.Sanford