COPY OF MICHELANGELO'S MOSES BY BARBEDIENNE

In the north wall above the choir stalls are two arches containing figures. The bronze figure near the screen is of Moses by Barbedienne and is copied from the great statue by Michelangelo (1475-1564). Willian Sanford purchased this bronze on the 28th January 1884 from the suppliers of 25 Suffolk Street, Pall Mall, London. A Great Western Fast Goods Train delivered the bronze that day. The price of the bronze was 500fr. (£20) and the cost of transportation from Paris was 10d. (Receipt for payment sent to William Sanford o 11th March 1884 by the Suppliers).

Moses

The bronze of Moses has horns but there does not seem to be any record of Moses being symbolised with horns other than in this case. It is thought that the appearance of the horns was due to a mistranslation of the Vulgate Bible. The true translation states that Moses' face glowed as he came down from Mount Sinai. The manufacturers mark on the bronze is F. Barbedienne (1810-1892). He was a prominent Second Empire furniture manufacturer and is the best-known 19th century Parisian bronze founder. He worked for Barye and other leading sculptors. From 1839 he worked in association with Achille Collas who devised a way of producing reductions of sculptures and by 1847 had established a factory for the production of bronzes in Paris. This means the bronze of Moses was produced in the period (1840-1892).